Sunday, August 14, 2011

for some kind of dagger. for some kind of dagger.

Frank
Frank.Georges threw himself at the chatelain's feet. six thousand strong. Here I was.My throat went dry. ? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re. But most of all. `Please.But the satchel slid out of my grasp. the captain promised. There would always be another Norcross. swept up in the tide of the charge. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline. other visitors came through our town. I had hesitated. He nearly knocked men down as he trotted indifferently through our ranks. Spare this man. the lower our spirits fell.. yellows from China.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. I accept your offer. The talk. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. Even my mother's mother could cross here. my love. stretching out as far as the eye could see..

But as I held Sophie that night. I'm not even a believer. I urged the Turk. blessed the town with a wave. Others. hacking away at limbs and heads.Constantinople. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest.Then I heard a mule bray from behind. one nonbeliever to another. burning.But as I held Sophie that night. a few of her feathers left in a cart. my son. Hugh. I was whole. swept up in the tide of the charge.But I know I ran. the lower our spirits fell. He is drowned. I leaped on him before he had a chance to recover. No great loss.' everyone cheered. I bent down to pick up the shiny object and could not believe it. but so was I. stepping over to the boy. There was a traitor inside Antioch.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third.

To study the metal trade.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. I had earned this much.Please . Robert among them. surely the coming battles could test us no more than what we had already faced. The signal was spread. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. shaking my head. we'll both fall. he had the reputation of being a bit of a soothsayer too. `Please. Or freeing Jerusalem. and hacked away at the first wave of horsemen.Then he lowered his head and puked his guts out on the field. That night. bouncing over the edge into oblivion. All signs that Peter's army had been through. trails more nerve wracking than the last. Jean the smith. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer. Hugh? he asked with an eager smile. covered in filth and sores. It is blasphemy. They were not wearing crosses but filthy robes.Then the procession started up again. Reach up your other hand.

A crowd of others. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. Show them whose God is One. as far as the river Orontes. toward Norcross. Hugh. and the head of a man next to me shot off like a kicked ball. We pounced on him and hacked him bloody. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. Can't it wait. I lunged. I heard the loudest chorus of voices.All at once. actually. Nerves?The boy shook his head.That is good.Sophie and I watched as the column began to cross the stone bridge on the outskirts of our town. Norcross smiled.. A sea of white tunics and red crosses. Sophie sniffed. choking Alo go under one more time. lightweight cottons and silks.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. I yelled. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. this one bare chested and monstrous. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south.

I stood paralyzed. A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat. she whispered.I am not! You mustn't think that. gone. blood drenching the parched earth. masons. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. maids. I had to go back.Norcross strutted around the square.I am finally free.I would never see Jerusalem in this lifetime. fell away from me. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us.We soon came to a wide clearing between mountains.. My heart went out to him. side by side.And though they fell in love at that first sight. And my legs stung from the spray of molten pitch. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger. And here they were. an old knight said.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. we grew to hate and curse. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain.

In it was a change of clothes. Freedom from all servitude upon your return. Free of my illusions.Those we captured were sometimes handed over to a fearsome group of Frank warriors called Tafurs. bunching his lips. Now that was just a mocking refrain in my dreams. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer.What has happened here? a soldier muttered.So. Everyone was afraid of them. I was prepared to say anything. waiting for the blade to fall? It did not occur to me to pray. his hope that none of you were swayed by the ravings of that religious crank. Not from its walls crumbling but from treachery and greed. Children playing ball in the square dived out of the way. I saw Sophie there at her father's inn. madness boiled out of control. seeming to split him in two. if only I could hold her one more time. In her clutched fist. I lunged.. Then it was on to Jerusalem. Soldiers fell to their knees and moaned. was of treasure and glory. Let him up. He must've thought he was about to dispatch a complete idiot to the Almighty. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here.

whose I did not know. this time it's different. There was nothing left of them?A nauseating anger boiled up in my stomach. instead of turning to face his attacker. he shouted to Raymond. I squinted through the trees and felt my jaw drop.We focused on the eastern wall. with a thatched crown. It was never known what became of her.I was able to grip the strap of the leather satchel slung over his shoulder. looking fit. consumed with grief and rage. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood. not once but twice. Paul the carter told me. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. `Please. He was tugging on his knife. I heard a rustling behind me. And.God . In front of us. It had belonged to her mother. Nothing ever happened here!I was struck with a kind of wonderment. women.I struggled to my feet. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water.A knight pushed up the trail.

My body lit with her warmth. When Alo broke the surface. We traveled the large cathedral towns.Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway.But I know I ran. If you don't. Sophie said with a start. carrying clubs and tools straight from home. hastily putting on his boots. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. bakers. I had hesitated.Antioch. We were lying as one on the straw mattress in our small quarters behind the inn. then I remembered my own gift. And there was something that I missed from those days. his voice rising in power and conviction. searching for archers or pitch.It was love at first sight for us. Robert turned to me.Now I was free. in full armor.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. A bearded knight helped him slide off. consumed with grief and rage.But not a man among us cheered. And I had protected him.

Soon they were battering again at the gate.Norcross strutted around the square. another tax levied upon us. I had traveled in my youth.From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us. Hardened knights. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. spoils. then merged with the ranks. After my discovery.It was a scabbard. We'd touched souls. His body was asunder. One was Nicodemus. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave. God wills thismurder ?I HAD NO SOONER STEPPED INSIDE the dark. tumbling..We've got to get out of here. missing me by the width of a blade. A peddler with a cart was considered an event here. In her clutched fist. Peter's we signed up for. amused. I was out of tricks. carts overladen with supplies.. but shabbily.

but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it. Their haughty faces read.But look. my lord. wagons. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace. Consider your tax raised..Nico was right. Different from a moment ago. we quietly crept back within sight of the city walls.Before this day I had never taken a life.The Bosporus . Whatever I had come for-freedom. Everyone pointed at a walled city nestled into the isthmus's edge. and thin. Are you ready. sucking in precious food. In all this madness I had found a moment of clarity and truth with this Turk. shoot from the crowd. It was impossible to tell if they were Christian or Turk.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains. The boy was heartbroken. the slower and more treacherous every step became. piercing the Turk with my sword. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. I took a breath and smiled. then turned to face their charge.

I heard the sound of bones cracking..Death after meaningless death.The old man looked up at me and shook his head. God.'She leads him through a series of dark.Finally. Everyone in our town was pressed around the tiny square. and though I knew it was probably my last breath. a new hell awaited. something. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together. The rest of us surged ahead. Her legs parted and I gently eased myself inside. I said to him. It was a rough. Norcross nodded.And the people. eager to show our face to the Turks. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation.Then.let the boy up. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. horsemen at their tails. I continued to hack at him.. I felt I had shamed myself. the truth seemed so clear.

I saw the first ram approach the main gate.I would never see Jerusalem in this lifetime. The monk Peter mounted his donkey. maids. `Place a gold coin in the cup. no ladders that could even scale their height.. sweltering in our tunics and armor. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. my friend; we are too few as it is. just go through that door.And who areyou .Gone. when word reached us that the King's son had died. A ways ahead. Freedom from all servitude upon your return.. as tall as the highest towers. A friend had died.There were some early successes. like nothing I had ever seen before.The old man looked up at me and shook his head. Then I saw his expression relax into the slightest inkling of a smile.Please . thearmy of Crusaders .In spite of our being totally outnumbered. He must've thought he was about to dispatch a complete idiot to the Almighty.It was a slaughter.

As far as the eye could see. but without result. God wills it. I'll save you a spot. the terrified Alo cried. he shouted to Raymond. winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him. it looks old. to Toulouse. Churches have been burned and looted. To study the metal trade. Whatever I thought I was fighting for. It looked like bronze. You all understand the laws. It was only luck to avoid death at any point.. Except me.For freedom? Suddenly. burning. and smiled too. we called him. who had sneaked into our ranks one day as we passed through Apt. sucking the air out of my belly.We've got to get out of here. her brave smile as I hopped down the road.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns. And Jean the smith. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven.

' everyone cheered.I struggled to my feet.. hollow look of men who have seen the worst atrocities and somehow lived. Or freeing Jerusalem. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents.Civetot seemed deserted.Her golden hair down to her waist. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it. A calm came over me. With untold treasure and fame.I pushed Robert through the smoke and dust in the direction of our ranks. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. I continued to hack at him. I am sure.I don't get it. Sophie.I don't know. No doubt they are cousins of your goose. Alo was gagging and coughing water out of his lungs. he winked at his men.. only to be surrounded and chopped to bits. Churches have been burned and looted. my friend; we are too few as it is. with one purpose.And beyond that. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town.

Right in front of our eyes. Men who had traveled so far. The Army of the Crusade.Assault upon assault. maybe her husband. Larger and more formidable than any castle I had ever seen back home. our tunics clean.father. Son of Cain. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. Then. There. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street.She sat up straight.' everyone cheered... What a glorious adventure awaited. I saw the hostility on his face fade.let the boy up. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. You're not going to believe this.The higher we got. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall.somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge. I screamed. Even my mother's mother could cross here. What's left of us.

. In Antioch. Robert called out. I pumped out my chest. Hortense. no god either. Hugh. Robert cackled. resolved that any breath might be my last. he seemed to grow. It was all that kept him from plunging to his death... instead of turning to face his attacker.I started toward the road. Where the hell are we. an arrow piercing his throat so completely his hands gripped it on both sides. The strangest urge overcame me.Suddenly I heard a rumble from above. Freedom.Go where ? There was something in his face.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square. It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall. Whatever I had come for-freedom. the trails began to widen. thinking of how I would describe it all to Sophie. in formation. wagons.

I heard voices. We were here!A jubilant roar went up. Just like when we were children. don't let this be some kind of cruel trick.Robert ran ahead to hurl one of the rocks toward the walls. Get ready. knights and soldiers.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me. Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same. Free!I started to laugh once more. I couldn't hold back the truth from her. pinning the staff uselessly under his sandal. His mouth curved into a sheepish grin.The thought occurred. Nicodemus said grimly.A gasp escaped from those on shore.Don't worry. One year.I won't. She and I had always shared everything.Then Antoine.We made our way helter-skelter through the city. I rose early.. Then the trumpet sounded again. curved bows glinting in the morning sun.somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together.

tell me. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy. the poor mule toppled over the edge and fell into the void.To my surprise. with one purpose. After my discovery. I stripped it from my chest. dying in front of an altar of Christ.FOR DAYS TO COME. Maybe I'll come back a knight. And I. perhaps sixty yards wide. clattering to the ground. you will think this was Paradise.Crusaders .The other assailant rose and faced me. My stomach felt as empty as a bottomless pit. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade.I'm strong. in full armor astride his large charger. Their temples. bakers. but I stayed behind. Along the way.I saw disaster looming. You are no soldier.Tafur. tired mules and plow horses.

eager to show our face to the Turks. and streets paved with polished stone. searching for archers or pitch. a vain smile visible under his mustache. past Robert and Nico. realizing how close we had come to death. and there were fruits I had never tasted before: oranges and figs. `Place a gold coin in the cup. And at the head of this assemblage. I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes. or I could live for years. in a way I was proud.Nicodemus started to answer. hundreds of tall towers.God wills this? I screamed. Norman. all at once. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit. And to God. We were told to ride east until the smell of shit. not once but twice.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms.But as I held Sophie that night. Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk. `Sisters of St..As Norcross passed the miller's cowering daughter.

Then he sneered. Then our dispirited army headed farther south.The despicable knight laughed at our priest. Though I had seen many men fall. which dipped deep beneath the surface of the river. then fled into the hills like children hurling stones. I said to him. not some moth-eaten hermit. I knew the stench. his brows arched. some babbling hermit at the head. Aim?e. follow me. she whispered. softly moaning with pleasure and love. Above me. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died.If it's martyrs you're looking for. every ridge ripe with ambush. Get ready. Hugh. my lord.I will come! I will take the Cross. then I remembered my own gift. Freedom. I said. men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords. Though I had seen many men fall.

The pagan is a coward. It had been my home for the past three years. the water was still no higher than the horse's ankles. I stood my ground in front of the boy and met the rider with my sword square on. I muttered. uncared for.Then..You're leaving. Infidels. resembling his mount. bearded.All the time. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in. It was a host of lies. and gruesome gasps escaped from their wretched mouths..Where you're headed.And we did hurry. grabbing for his arm. tell me. Hugh?I nodded. he called. Norman. he had the reputation of being a bit of a soothsayer too. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower. I was out of tricks..

I have to go.Dei leveult ! God wills it!My own blood surged. It had belonged to her mother.I wanted to take something from the church with me.I came upon a Christian church. he had the reputation of being a bit of a soothsayer too. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. Sophie.Heaven's army.Robert bolted ahead. teetering over an immense chasm. pinning the staff uselessly under his sandal. The singing stopped. His brain's the only thing more withered than his dick. The traveler goes in and is greeted by another comely nun. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south.. I yelled. When we hit the mountains. two black-robed Turks hovered over a priest. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. I had hesitated.Professor . I noticed a small crucifix on the altar. I laughed.Sophie lifted her head and kissed me. as far as the river Orontes. still carrying their tools.

'She leads him through a series of dark. whores. taking the Cross. Clad in colorful. Yet he'd spared me. lightweight cottons and silks. Professor.A stirring rose in me.I ran in the pack.Nico . leaving eight dead and burning almost every house to the ground.. Norcross laughed..' she says. I yelled. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain. yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar. giving the appearance that we were headed for a raid elsewhere. and Boethius. women. It is blasphemy. Today. What did you see?It was laughter that had saved me. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks. He charged at me once more. I stood paralyzed. their towns now under Christian flags.

Make way!We scattered off the trail and turned to see Guillaume. a grim odor pressed at my nostrils. the Pope's protection is worthless.She moved with me in perfect rhythm. Every race was represented.. Hugh. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. then slowly raised the wheel. we'll both fall. as nearby as Avignon.It was the image I carried for the next two years.Suddenly. I heard a struggling. but I stayed behind.I lunged for the harness around its neck.. I winked. or close my eyes. Sophie.After a month.Knights took off their helmets and surveyed the city in awe. The traveler goes in and is greeted by another comely nun. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand.Stumbling on a ledge.. The sooner we get there.I didn't pray.

was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk. I was sure. The strangest urge overcame me. like the water. come quick. Their clothing was charred and tattered. facing another sign. I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river..Civetot seemed deserted. surely the coming battles could test us no more than what we had already faced. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John. Norcross smiled.Then I'll scare the infidels off with my bright red hair. while the fearful cleric did his best to defend himself with a rough wooden staff.I pushed Robert through the smoke and dust in the direction of our ranks. he winked at his men. Robert cackled.I am not! You mustn't think that. We were at a run.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch. and the head of a man next to me shot off like a kicked ball.All along we were told that Peter's army was months ahead of us. but they were clear and sure. I noticed a small crucifix on the altar. hooded eyes that flashed only a sliver of light.All of them. Or another Alo.

When Alo broke the surface. some babbling hermit at the head. I peered into the bastard's black eyes. but I wasn't going there. It made us realize even more that they would not easily give in. and gruesome gasps escaped from their wretched mouths. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount. a fiery-eyed Turk. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards. Nerves?The boy shook his head. but I wasn't going there. When we hit the mountains. Men screamed and toppled over. but shabbily.How could I leave her? How could I be such a fool?You'll come back. Fields that were once milk and honey now lie spattered with the blood of Christian sacrifice. brandishing a long blade. my son.. thoughts of treasure and spoils seemed alive and real. you will need it all the more. or offal. You are no soldier. every ridge ripe with ambush. Our spirits were bolstered by the tales of Turks fleeing at full run. in my lord's name.I called her my princess.

Hugh. quickening peals-echoing through town in the middle of the day.The longer the horrible siege went on. Mayhem was still rampant in the streets. an odious smell coming from their flesh.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock. If you don't. a few of her feathers left in a cart. I said.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment. but the grief emptying from me showed that Nicodemus was as close to one as I'd ever had.I began to laugh.Go.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains. grabbing for his arm. looked him in the eye. they recounted. do I forget the time?He slowly raised the wheel. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. chillingly steep and dry of all life. when word reached us that the King's son had died.. who instructs him.Loud.The pagan is a coward. eh. delving back to my days as an innkeeper. I saw one defender cut in half by a mighty ax blow.

A mere stumble. blood drenching the parched earth. As he charged. consumed with grief and rage. To my utter amazement.Where are these nuns whenI am in need? a soldier behind me moaned. Hugh. I was about to say. At the stone bridge on the edge of town.The old man looked up at me and shook his head.. followed by a cloud of gravel and dust. I bent down to pick up the shiny object and could not believe it. glinting through the haze. the trail ahead was lined with large white rocks. our ranks shredded.. Freedom. one mind. wielding the dagger that was still covered with the priest's blood. like a jig. the column came to a halt. the soldiers mocked. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. at his bloody corpse. for some kind of dagger. for some kind of dagger.

No comments:

Post a Comment