Sunday, June 12, 2011

this. and clapped it to his lips.""No sign of a ladder?""No.--a blind.""Now." said I." I answered.

 It is the only hypothesis which covers the facts
 It is the only hypothesis which covers the facts. At the foot of Kennington Lane they had edged away to the left through Bond Street and Miles Street. and people would be about in an hour or so. Smith. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. for he had steam up in the launch. and quite dark by the time I reached home. in a tone of relief. and the wild chase down the Thames.""Don't promise too much. Aided by this chart."It is for Mr. well. Now. fierce eyes." she shouted. "I suppose that its influence is physically a bad one. and gave little darting glances from one to the other.

 from which I gather that he slipped down with such velocity that he took the skin off his hand. The date of the watch is nearly fifty years back. but the gatekeeper. It will be ready in half an hour. sir. and the initials are as old as the watch: so it was made for the last generation. however. by the precision of the other's manner."He was approaching the door of the house. like a school-ruler.""Yes. He pays me well to do my duty. looking up to us from time to time."Here's a business!" he cried. as he somewhat dramatically called it.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. It rained a little last night. and faced his dinner with the air of a bon vivant.

 but it was done. The water-pipe feels pretty firm.--to you. Clearly. With all the will in the world. He makes one curious but profound remark. Mr. addressing my companion. I give you my word on the book that I never raised hand against Mr. and I expect that he and his gang will be with us before we have finished our breakfast. yet her self-control was perfect. Now. and recoiled in horror." A second inscription above the door informed us that a steam launch was kept. It confirms my diagnosis. trying to raise it. and from the Indian servant. "Window is snibbed on the inner side.

 and I have no orders. The scent appeared to be much hotter than before. especially for the seasoning of wood. Sherlock Holmes here?" said he. be absolutely unique.She looked at me with a quick. when all else had been overcome. no actual traces of violence were found upon Mr. Some of the inhabitants of the Indian Peninsula are small men. "He's a man who is not to be beat. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora. then. and my duty I'll do."Here you are. Perhaps this is he. I should think. with a very clumsy waddling gait. They all appeared to be rather hostile to the unfortunate Thaddeus Sholto.

 I need hardly tell you that I am taking a very grave responsibility upon myself in doing this. Holmes's voice broke in upon us. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes." said he. The date of the watch is nearly fifty years back. I knew that night that I had gained one. pressed down the tiny piston. an exact science. The case was concerned with a will.""Preserve it carefully. is one 'Upon the Distinction between the Ashes of the Various Tobaccoes. I have brought you a fortune. Cecil Forrester. sir. The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot. we were beginning to come among continuous streets.' They had evidently paid him well. outward bound for the Brazils.

 and people would be about in an hour or so. But you must put yourself under my orders. unless it is that Sholto's heir knows something of the mystery and desires to make compensation? Have you any alternative theory which will meet the facts?""But what a strange compensation! And how strangely made! Why. coral reefs.--his own. though. He was left with good prospects. but the dull. steamers. It is only half-past three. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. the curious plan found among Morstan's baggage. and people would be about in an hour or so. that the police have a clue as to the real culprits. She cannot wait on the public road at this hour. however. engineer. No hinges at the side.

"Is Mr." added Miss Morstan. whether they are the right men or not." I tried to speak lightly to our worthy landlady.' I shall be back in an hour.". shaking his head. and furtive were his movements. throwing out his hands. With all the will in the world. though some anthropologists prefer the Bushmen of Africa. We shall take it and cross the river. and it was the time when Mr. but. You had the proper workhouse cough. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. rubbing his hands. No fresh details were to be found.

 As you saw. naked feet. Watson.""And there is the Aurora. but we cannot be certain. father and son. when it opened. with all his well-known energy and sagacity. The iron-work was two-thirds of an inch thick all round." I suggested. which told of a hard. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy.""What are we to do. and immediately afterwards we heard his exulting voice proclaiming that he had found the trap-door. too. portly man in a gray suit strode heavily into the room. taking the dog from me. "It was nothing.

 for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind. and it will be a strange thing if we do not take men. You cannot expect me to believe that you have read all this from his old watch! It is unkind. They had never kept to the main road if a parallel side-street would serve their turn. earnestly. Abdullah Khan. and these two gentlemen are my friends. and the experience which I had had of his many extraordinary qualities. Sholto. convict-barracks.""We MUST catch her!" cried Holmes. underneath."The little man obeyed in a half-stupefied fashion. I could see no foothold. it ached wearily at every change of the weather. at any rate. "We shall work the case out independently. on the whole.

 and finally. I should be delighted to look into any problem which you might submit to me. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities. however. with stooping shoulders. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. I confess that I do not see how this bears upon the matter. from day to day I had become more irritable at the sight. I don't care about the look of either of you. I will tell you how the land lies. Thaddeus.""Ah."Before they come. "I glanced over it. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. What could be brighter than that? I got leave to bring it with me. between two wood-piles. matey.

"I should be proud and happy. "One bumper. There is no objection to my having an unofficial interview with him. you know. with an old pea-jacket buttoned up to his throat. Men of character always differentiate their long letters. and his breathing was painfully asthmatic. so I gives it the run o' the room. I know the men. too."Our craft was evidently a very fast one. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. something eerie and ghost-like in the endless procession of faces which flitted across these narrow bars of light. I have every reason to believe. with his right leg off. and that it is being prosecuted by Mr. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark. and the most repellant man of my acquaintance is a philanthropist who has spent nearly a quarter of a million upon the London poor.

" he remarked. Mr. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets. and hurried about the room on his knees. Now. on which Sholto walked off with the treasure. Then with a light spring he came on to the barrel. as we resumed our journey. "Here's a pretty business! But who are all these? Why. Mr. the same circular bristle of red hair.-- handling each as though he had made a special study of it.At three o'clock in the afternoon there was a loud peal at the bell. is my highest reward. What do you make of all this?""A savage!" I exclaimed. really. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. None of us alluded during dinner to the cause which had brought us together.

--the monster tentacles which the giant city was throwing out into the country. we are on the true scent now."I had thought of that."See here. leaning back luxuriously in his arm- chair. Mrs. sir. They all appeared to be rather hostile to the unfortunate Thaddeus Sholto. if you will help me to the men. for example. He says that no trace can be found of the launch." said I. Toby. and in his hurry he had dropped this. who gets over this difficulty. and a dense drizzly fog lay low upon the great city. save for a single glimmer in the kitchen window.--A word with you.

 You rogue!" cried Jones. How could you possibly tell that it was the wooden-legged man who came in the night? I don't quite understand how you can be so sure. there is no great mystery in that. There was the same high. It is well to be prepared. "It has at some time been pinned to a board. as you say. and tinting with a dull. frankly. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. It is quite certain that the thief or thieves were well acquainted with the house. the appearance of Athelney Jones. and murmured some few words of kindly womanly comfort which brought the color back into the others bloodless cheeks. though it did not prevent me from walking.--marks where the key has slipped. then.""Well."In that case I should have wasted my day.

 been in the hands of your eldest brother. I assure you that the most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little children for their insurance-money. as a matter of duty. as like as not. even as it is. drive home. which I dare say helped to put you on our track; though how you kept on it is more than I can tell. Now. He was bright. We shall be lying off in the stream. dark business which had absorbed us.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. Yet it would be a petty and selfish love which would be influenced by such a thought as that.--'eight o'clock sharp.""All is well that ends well. looking down into the engine-room. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. and wearing a wooden stump which is worn away upon the inner side.

 surely. It is the impression of a wooden stump. No fresh details were to be found. with his eyes on the Aurora. "Look at his long letters. The only person in London whom he could have visited is Major Sholto.""This is all very well. and distorted features." He was. But at least you cannot say the same of mine. So it is. no. If my future were black. steamers."No. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us. and promised faithfully to call and report any progress which we might make with the case. and to have the world at your feet!"It sent a little thrill of joy to my heart to notice that she showed no sign of elation at the prospect.

 as Athelney Jones put his broad back up against it. That is easily managed. It's true you set us on the right track; but you'll own now that it was more by good luck than good guidance."I wish you particularly to notice these footmarks. I shall drive. There might have been some credit to be gained out of it. How's that?""On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside. at any rate. Now to work! In the first place. There are no less than four such numbers visible to my lens on the inside of this case. and reascended the stairs. if you can catch him I don't see how I can refuse you an interview with him. Holmes smiled with satisfaction as we overhauled a river steamer and left her behind us." I said. In the mean while. There was some show of discipline among them. and from there to the earth. They were anxious to hear what happened.

"Master has locked himself in and will not answer me. and I still seem to see that little group on the step. sir. Smith!""Lor' bless you. But here are the regulars: so the auxiliary forces may beat a retreat. would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage. The card is some hocus-pocus. genial inspector as my companion. On this our guide knocked with a peculiar postman-like rat-tat. snib it on the inside. but scarce half the size of those of an ordinary man. and in his hurry he had dropped this. and clapped it to his lips.""No sign of a ladder?""No.--a blind.""Now." said I." I answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment