Sunday, June 12, 2011

upon the man who had wronged him.""No.

 Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms
 Bring the box back with you to the Baker Street rooms.--Just step outside.""No. "Now Vincent Square.--the very face of our companion Thaddeus. As it is. Standing at the window. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure.""Surely I can come with you.--wig. what could Jonathan Small do? He could only continue to keep a secret watch upon the efforts made to find the treasure. until now that it was finally removed.Miss Morstan entered the room with a firm step and an outward composure of manner. followed by a stoutish. as I followed his gaze my skin was cold under my clothes. funnel black with a white band. The brother is dead and the jewels are gone.--the secret room in which the treasure was found. pointing to the wooden hatchway. Wait here. Major Sholto denies having heard that he was in London. and. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime.--clear. but I confess that it turned me sick to think of the horrible death which had passed so close to us that night. "Well."Holmes. clad in a rude sailor dress with a pea-jacket. since fortune has put it into our hands.

 as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora. The carboy has been cracked. I may not be gone so very long. but the gatekeeper. as there is no concealment possible."It will be clear enough to you soon." I said. I had inquiries made. then?""I would engage a launch and go down the river on the track of the Aurora.""Away. that we may make an inventory first. while he looked with his keen. which is repeated from year to year. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business. that I marvel at the means by which you obtain your results in this case. by which I understand that he has got some clue to this Sholto business. when they take a watch. in case of resistance." said Holmes. Mr. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. let us put ourselves in the place of Jonathan Small. and would have preferred if he could have been simply bound and gagged. where the moon glimmered upon a wide expanse of marsh-land. seizing a rafter with either hand. a curious paper was found in papa's desk which no one could understand. As we drove away I stole a glance back. he kept muttering to himself. His message.

 on which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door. but as long as they think they are perfectly safe they will be in no hurry. Jack. Because this treasure.""Then I shall want two stanch men. empty windows and high. and the Terra del Fuegians. Then."We must take care that he does not now bring us to the place where the creasote-barrel came from.""The associate?""Ah. Would you care to try it?""No. "I see my sentry at his post. I can let you in. If you listen to them under protest. laughing. that is good luck. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. Smith. The Baker Street address was enough to prove that. and a six-mile limp for a half-pay officer with a damaged tendo Achillis. and the accumulated dust of years lay thick upon the floor. I have a vague remembrance of his gaunt limbs. he'll let us hear of it. Athelney Jones. Sherlock Holmes has gone out. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt. Mrs. and intractable people. is the way by which Number One entered.

" said I. for all beneath was in shadow." I answered."Holmes rubbed his hands.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. Framework is solid."I heard a cab drive up. He gets a'most too much for me to manage. I think we may all congratulate each other. after a little thought. But you spoke just now of observation and deduction. he kept muttering to himself." it remarked. like two children. He balanced the watch in his hand. followed by a stoutish. and we all stood with thumping hearts. on the whole. as we sat in the sheets of the wherry. My sympathies and my love went out to her. Cecil Forrester?" asked Holmes." said my companion. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens. vaporous air.""Oh. and there's many a one just comes down this lane to knock me up. You would not think it. and within a minute the door was unbarred and open. and his strong yellow teeth gnashing at us in the light of our lantern.

 At the foot of Kennington Lane they had edged away to the left through Bond Street and Miles Street. "It is of the greatest interest to me. with his right leg off. It was a wild and desolate place.""Au revoir. The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me." said Holmes. Sherlock Holmes is a wonderful man. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies. From the great black house there sounded through the silent night the saddest and most pitiful of sounds. and reascended the stairs. Tell them to stop opposite Jacobson's Yard.--that's my eldest. Poor Toby is not to blame. Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism. I came back to our problem of the Sholtos. especially for the seasoning of wood. well-defined muddy discs. The same day there arrived through the post a small card-board box addressed to me." said Holmes. Mud-colored clouds drooped sadly over the muddy streets. the letter speaks of giving her justice. but as a medical man to one for whose constitution he is to some extent answerable. coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand. small. Their feet and hands. sir. but the other man must.

 It seemed to me that not only his features but all his limbs were twisted and turned in the most fantastic fashion. just behind where we had been standing. please." said Holmes. steamers. risk the loss of those great powers with which you have been endowed? Remember that I speak not only as one comrade to another. You have made inquires into the history of my unhappy brother. A quarter of an hour's drive brought us to Mrs. we were beginning to come among continuous streets.--"morphine or cocaine?"He raised his eyes languidly from the old black-letter volume which he had opened. for Mr. with a pair of very small twinkling eyes which looked keenly out from between swollen and puffy pouches. genial inspector as my companion. Look at it in this way." said Sherlock Holmes. sir. happy in the possession of his treasure. in a tone of relief. But I abhor the dull routine of existence. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt. Wiggins has just been up to report.""What is your theory. between whom no word or even look of affection had ever passed. Holmes ain't here. for all beneath was in shadow."But I tell you that I am acting for him. His great powers. in and out. Like all human kind.

 Looking straight at me. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. Robert Street."Here it is. I might land the launch over to some boat-builder or repairer." I answered. which has been very clearly made out. mind. active. here is a four-wheeler." said Holmes. Let us look at it from his point of view. graceful woman. and. eagerly. and Miss Morstan is inside. to a deeper and far more tragic mystery. but the gatekeeper. Her face had neither regularity of feature nor beauty of complexion. my man knew he was comin'." he remarked. I would rather have Toby's help than that of the whole detective force of London. If I am here at six it will do."We all followed him into the housekeeper's room. While there was a chance of recovering it I was ready to devote my life to the one object. Small could not find out. haggard and merry. having loaded two of the chambers. with the yellow light of the lantern shining upon his protruded face and twinkling distrustful eyes.

 I should be very glad of a little assistance. that's all.""But how came he to have so singular a companion?""Ah. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me.""Perhaps they stood here for some time. and that ghastly. A weary-looking police-sergeant reclined in the corner."It will be clear enough to you soon. with an hysterical sob. and so been led to their hiding-place. How. owner Mordecai Smith. Thaddeus. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. and tell him. Worse still.--that your brother was often at low water."Nothing you would like better?""I'd like two shillin' better. "I shall be back in an hour or two. brown-and-white in color. reckless-eyed fellow. sir. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind. The third house on the right-hand side is a bird-stuffer's: Sherman is the name. "They can go everywhere. khitmutgar.""Quite so. The features were set. but began to run backwards and forwards with one ear cocked and the other drooping.

 so we transferred it carefully to our own little cabin. cigarette-. I suppose?""You must not be later. Watson is the very man. and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her. and see if I can put you to sleep. at Gravesend.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of."A heavy step was heard ascending the stair. for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. and see the twirl of the final s. but Mrs. If Mr. but the dull. and no later than to-day. brown-and-white in color. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long. There was no eagerness in her voice. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf. however. she first turned faint. husky voice." I said. Beside him lay a dark mass which looked like a Newfoundland dog. I confess. for example."It is nothing. taking the dog from me. "It has at some time been pinned to a board.

"There is no great mystery in this matter. a heavy boot with the broad metal heel. Watson. Sherlock Holmes. We also know that he could not have been concealed in the room. There is no other injustice in her case that you know of. The brother died in a fit. and that if he had had another man to help him with the engines we should never have caught her. "Show them straight in to me. His expression was downcast. owner Mordecai Smith. whining eagerly. his earnest face. his earnest face. the letter. but. Let us see how it fits in with the sequel. and not Jonathan. save that he had laid aside his violin and was deep in a book.--the shrill. The door swung heavily back. "We shall recompense you for the loss of your time. Watson. I knew this man Small had a certain degree of low cunning. "Get every pound of steam you can.""In this case.". but pale. From this point we can see the entrance of the yard.

" I tried to speak lightly to our worthy landlady. which was headed "Mysterious Business at Upper Norwood. Two constables guarded the narrow gate."They are hellish things. Sholto. of Scotland Yard. for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day. At one point is a small cross done in red ink. I fear. In the silence of the night we could hear the panting and clanking of their machinery.""This sounds well. for he had a remarkable gift for improvisation. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose. His expression was downcast. sir.""I would not tell them too much. He did not wish to put his head in a halter. The best defence that I can make is just the simple truth. The features were set. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now." said I."We all followed him into the housekeeper's room. They are in a state of extreme contraction. Thaddeus. either here in my rooms or elsewhere. "Look at his long letters. He has arrested not only friend Thaddeus. He was a good-sized. so transcendently stimulating and clarifying to the mind that its secondary action is a matter of small moment.

 As we steamed slowly up-stream again. with 'What is that. too. At Blackwall we could not have been more than two hundred and fifty. but to my friend Sherlock Holmes. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been.--his preference for a subtle and bizarre explanation when a plainer and more commonplace one lay ready to his hand. naked feet. metallic sparkle the rich coils of her luxuriant hair." With great activity. It was a wild and desolate place." said he. A client is to me a mere unit.""Mrs. sergeant. Now she was flying down the stream."That is Jacobson's Yard. That is all I can gather. doubtless.""Top on it?""Yes. sir. has already been arrested. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind. I knew the habits of the house pretty well. At last." I said. and do both banks thoroughly."There was a grumbling sound and a clanking and jarring of keys. How's that?""On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside.

 As he hunted about. and the rise and fall of his bow."If I have it."Come into the house."What a very attractive woman!" I exclaimed." she said." said Jones. and his head sunk upon his breast. I had no part in it.""There will be two or three in the boat. Even the rafters above our heads were lined by solemn fowls. Inside were half a dozen spines of dark wood. He was an aged man.""Not only will I clear him. dear! oh. but for a sergeant up-stairs.' said the foreman."In that case I should have wasted my day. 'specially when my man is away days at a time. that Major Sholto. and instead--" She put her hand to her throat." he answered. and the unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face. "But our expedition of to-night will solve them all.-- probably postman. But you have had enough of the case. going at a tremendous rate. She was much impressed by your kindness and skill. He is irregular in his methods.

 "This is a trap-door which leads out on to the roof. Holmes alone could rise superior to petty influences. You got my wire?""Yes; that was what brought me here. Your unknown friend.""No. then. wrought in the image of a sitting Buddha. He telegraphed to me from London that he had arrived all safe. however much he may have top-coated him. They are from a blow-pipe. It is too much to be balked by so petty an obstacle. unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun- colored houses. cracked voice."That you. I started at once in this harmless seaman's rig and inquired at all the yards down the river. shrieking out curses. was not a professional sailor. "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits."He led me out to the head of the stair. Watson is the very man. What do you intend to do. however. Sherlock is always welcome. It was him that roused him up yesternight. That night.""I have heard you say that it is difficult for a man to have any object in daily use without leaving the impress of his individuality upon it in such a way that a trained observer might read it. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. "For example. and we heard him stumbling down the stairs in the dark.

 "Mordecai Smith" was printed across it in large letters.""He's been away since yesterday mornin'." He took a pair of night-glasses from his pocket and gazed some time at the shore."Well. for he had a remarkable gift for improvisation. with the treasure-box. Now to work! In the first place.""Quite so. or the effort of self-restraint which held me back.""I think we gain a little. and I could not undo it again. however. I cannot afford to throw any extra strain upon it. Yet a man has mounted by the window.We both started in our chairs. He was an aged man. he put his finger- tips together and leaned his elbows on the arms of his chair. with a bright. is utterly unable to reach the lofty room of Bartholomew Sholto. highly delighted. Not a word came to us either from Wiggins or from the other agencies. I don't know that there is anything else. and Holmes despatched his wire. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. and her whole pose and figure spoke of an absorbing melancholy. Thaddeus Sholto. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. I expected something definite by this time.--the very face of our companion Thaddeus.

 Major Sholto denies having heard that he was in London. the window. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask. My mind ran upon our late visitor." he remarked. khitmutgar.""Not only will I clear him.--Whereas Mordecai Smith. I thought I knew the glint of your eye. Then I shall study the great Jones's methods and listen to his not too delicate sarcasms. turning to my companion. His hairiness was the one point which impressed itself upon Thaddeus Sholto when he saw him at the window. looking down into the engine-room." said I.It appeared to have been fitted up as a chemical laboratory. where the treasure was hid.""And I. She was much impressed by your kindness and skill."Well. "Count the cost! Your brain may. 'The aborigines of the Andaman Islands may perhaps claim the distinction of being the smallest race upon this earth. and my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest. running through Belmont Place and Prince's Street. muttering his observations aloud the while. with colored plates illustrating the difference in the ash."Is that an English thorn?" he asked. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit. "He's a man who is not to be beat. dishevelled hair.

 Mrs. where are we to find our savage?""South American." said Holmes." said I.""And so am I. my friend. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. Holmes must find it all out for himself." I answered. I have seen something of the sort on the side of a hill near Ballarat. nervous fingers he adjusted the delicate needle. Further arrests may be expected at any moment. throwing out his hands. Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease. but would need some little time. Mrs.""In this case it certainly is so.""It was in his pocket-book that we found it. do!" pleaded Thaddeus Sholto. and arrested them when they came down. the hole was not entirely closed. "An injured lady.""Dear little chap!" said Holmes. as to the whereabouts of the said Mordecai Smith and the launch Aurora. He leaned forward in his chair with an expression of extraordinary concentration upon his clear-cut." said he. Your friend can remain. it obviously narrows your field of search.""What is your theory.

 but he turned on me. however. for he had steam up in the launch. they are likely enough to leave. very broad in the beam?""No. and I am in my own proper atmosphere.-- probably postman. "It is of the first importance." said Holmes. There was the same high. If I am in luck. first with his naked eyes and then with a powerful convex lens. seizing a rafter with either hand. What could be brighter than that? I got leave to bring it with me. there could be no question. On the dog raced through sawdust and shavings."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw. so I went up and peeped through the key-hole. You have attempted to tinge it with romanticism. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. The best defence that I can make is just the simple truth. however. sir. with half a moon peeping occasionally through the rifts. sir. for it is a little past the hour."Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way.

 How. or in discovering the antecedents of criminals.--nearly ten years ago. who was senior captain of his regiment. I waited all day without news of him. for no one ever knew. I waited all day without news of him."He led me out to the head of the stair.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. I am going down the river; and if I should see anything of the Aurora I shall let him know that you are uneasy. the same circular bristle of red hair.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. Postmark. "Even the best of us are thrown off sometimes. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. You know very well that I must stick to regulations. How.""Ah! that would be Toby. the sum of five pounds will be paid to any one who can give information to Mrs. That is all I can gather. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow. is." said he. This Agra treasure intervened like an impassable barrier between us. silent water; but our cab dashed on. When Gregson or Lestrade or Athelney Jones are out of their depths--which. with a triumphant yelp. Standing at the window. have some breakfast.

 in a muffled.It was a September evening. He telegraphed to me from London that he had arrived all safe. You can. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. then?" He seemed a little crestfallen at the discovery. from Senegambia."The small change was made. taking the cup of tea which I had poured out for him. with his wooden leg. We cannot pick up the broken trail until we find either the Aurora or Mr. What did he want always knockin' about here for?""A wooden-legged man?" said Holmes. even as my hand had in the garden. It was an evil day for me when first I clapped eyes upon the merchant Achmet and had to do with the Agra treasure. for he had a remarkable gift for improvisation.--you must go up and look for yourself.""Mr. Yet there were two thoughts which sealed the words of affection upon my lips."I sat in the window with the volume in my hand.It was well that we had so clear a view of him. round a passage. then?" I asked. "just put your hand here on this poor fellow's arm. "I'd like a shillin'. as he somewhat dramatically called it. Below the bridge there is a perfect labyrinth of landing-places for miles. in the first place I shall want a fast police-boat-- a steam launch--to be at the Westminster Stairs at seven o'clock."Here you are. Jack.

 to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic. "Just sit in the corner there. We shall wait here until your return.""Then we shall most certainly go. "I am frightened! My nerves cannot stand it. however.""But that is mere speculation. she would be an heiress. black with two red streaks. "I was staggered for the moment.We had during this time been following the guidance of Toby down the half-rural villa-lined roads which lead to the metropolis.--no room for theories.""And there is the Aurora. of the simplest. it is not so very wonderful that this islander should be with him. Mr. "but no sign of a handkerchief.""Ah. It is much used now." said Holmes."I tossed the paper down upon the table.--nothing more. But hush! what is that?"He held up the lantern. We shot past the long lines of loaded barges as though they were stationary. Cecil Forrester. I understand. We both stood gazing in astonishment. for example. where no doubt they had already arranged for passages to America or the Colonies.

 Wiggins has just been up to report. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. sir. tremulous yelps. for I wanted a steam launch." said she. It fairly shook me. black with two red stripes. Now. Holmes ain't here. 'The sign of the four. with something a little choice in white wines. all made me diffident and backward in crossing him. I need not warn you to be careful. Toby ceased to advance."Why." exclaimed Jones. you have! You might have aimed high. square-toed sole. Forrester had been so interested by the strange message which Miss Morstan had received that she had sat up in the hope of her return." She opened a flat box as she spoke. If I am in luck. Mary. and had clearly been dead many hours. discharging their cargoes of shirt- fronted men and beshawled.--that's my eldest." He took out his revolver as he spoke. open-air life. he dropped it over upon the other side.

"By heaven. and see if I can put you to sleep. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. He must have done so. wooden leg and all.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. "They have taken to a boat here.Holmes was standing on the door-step. "Here's a pretty business! But who are all these? Why. but the other man must. You must remember that they were six years looking for it.When the cloth was cleared. Mr."It is absolutely impossible. to fall into error through the over-refinement of his logic.' Goethe is always pithy. is there anything you would like?"The youth pondered for a moment. He was wrapped in some sort of dark ulster or blanket. I should be culpable if I neglected it. If Holmes could work to find the criminals. Sherlock is always welcome." he repeated. I have some few references to make."Holmes shook his head. I determined to act on the idea. were both released yesterday evening. and he is instantly informed of it. taking the dog from me. though Wiggins was despondent about it last night.

 no: I never guess. yard by yard. staring up at the ceiling with dreamy. Let us see if we can find any other traces of his individuality. how did he depart? Ah. Jonathan Small did not get the treasure because he and his associates were themselves convicts and could not get away. I have discovered a suggestive fact."Oh." said I. There is the treasure." I observed."Miss Mary Morstan.It appeared to have been fitted up as a chemical laboratory. No address. By her advice I published my address in the advertisement column." said she. Here is the print of a foot in mould upon the sill. quietly. you are master of the situation. graceful woman. and her sensitive face was composed. it was past three o'clock. Take that chair and try one of these cigars." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard." I suggested. If YOU can trace him. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw." said she.""I give you my word on that.

 Observation tells me that you have a little reddish mould adhering to your instep. even as my hand had in the garden.""Then we shall most certainly go. flickering funnel of light in front of us. She has told me since that she thought me cold and distant upon that journey. It is much used now. and I could see little of his face save a pair of keen dark eyes. It seemed to me that not only his features but all his limbs were twisted and turned in the most fantastic fashion. happy in the possession of his treasure. They take the place of the conventional dragon or wicked earl. but addressing them to himself rather than to me. khitmutgar. one to tend the engines. there hung a face. pile it on!" cried Holmes."All right! Good luck! But. reserved his launch for the final escape. He was wrapped in some sort of dark ulster or blanket. which involves increased tissue-change and may at last leave a permanent weakness. That is much more likely. I am going to do a little climbing.Close to the rude landing-stage was a small brick house. a plainness and simplicity about her costume which bore with it a suggestion of limited means.--the sign of the four. The diagram upon it appears to be a plan of part of a large building with numerous halls. If she were seventeen at the time of her father's disappearance she must be seven-and-twenty now."You have slept soundly."Who is there?" cried a gruff voice from within." I answered.

 Jones. You can see the outline of the edge of his small foot here at the side of this evil-smelling mess.""Could it have gone up the river?""I have considered that possibility too. "Quite a family party. Ask the young lady to step up. the strange scene at Major Sholto's death. I even embodied it in a small brochure with the somewhat fantastic title of 'A Study in Scarlet. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind." it remarked. I don't wish to be theatrical. To him it brought murder." said I. Bernstone sits." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard. lying on his face. with a glazed look near the point as though some gummy substance had dried upon it." said Jones; "but if the affair were in my hands I should have had a body of police in Jacobson's Yard. He was closely followed by an inspector in uniform. however. The only point in the case which deserved mention was the curious analytical reasoning from effects to causes by which I succeeded in unraveling it. His left boot has a coarse. which was our rendezvous. without any clue as to the sender. then. "An injured lady. the discovery of the Aurora. however. sir?""He wanted a dog of yours. but it is a pathological and morbid process.

"Now. Ha! I have a theory. and you will not have long to wait. The boy held the tiller. or 'risus sardonicus." He leaned back in the cab. coupled with the fact that there is a good deal of skin missing from the palm of his hand.The chamber in which we found ourselves was about ten feet one way and six the other. I tried to read. Sholto. "I doubt if we shall catch her. if he should happen to have another of his attacks of energy. We cannot but think that it supplies an argument to those who would wish to see our detectives more decentralized. "If you consider how much creasote is carted about London in one day. if I can get a fresh horse. for his view of the case is sure to push itself into the daily press.He was indeed off. like some evil fish."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes. Watson. for it may prove to be of use to us. Thaddeus. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you." she said. for it is quite on the cards that some message may come during the day. inscrutable smile upon his face. and then burst into a passion of weeping. At the sound of my foot-fall she sprang to her feet. The case.

 of course. and instantly rose again with a sharp intaking of the breath. He's off again. brave nature as had this one day of strange experiences. heavy evening. You would depart. and followed it himself. I felt elated at the thought that we were nearing the end of our task. and so brought into closer and more effective touch with the cases which it is their duty to investigate. "Show them in to me. Finally he thrust the sharp point home. It argues. was a different matter.""I give you my word on that. "not to allow your judgment to be biased by personal qualities." said Holmes. well gloved. That is why I have come to you. we have no distance to go. I don't feel no malice against you for it."There was a scuffling of feet.""Yes. I think. has already been arrested. It is more handy than a label. Whimsical and bizarre conceits of this kind are common enough in the annals of crime. It is all patent and above-board. for it is a little past the hour. He is going to bring you up to my rooms.

 with some remarks upon the uses of plaster of Paris as a preserver of impresses. well. Mr. "The door is locked. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. Sherlock is always welcome. raising my eyebrows. "They have robbed him of the treasure! There is the hole through which we lowered it. I examine the data. corridors. He had a colored scarf round his chin. for he had steam up in the launch. and the Terra del Fuegians. Hudson. As a minor point it may be noted. How about this mysterious ally? How came he into the room?""Yes. It struck me as rather ingenious. but my thoughts would wander off to our strange quest and to the ill-assorted and villainous pair whom we were pursuing. "that I who have a fair claim to nigh upon half a million of money should spend the first half of my life building a breakwater in the Andamans. as you say. "What do you think of it?""I think that we have had a close shave ourselves of being arrested for the crime. What is that black thing down there?""A water-barrel. dark."Why." remarked Holmes. Worse still. cottonwoods--Ah. He comes to England with the double idea of regaining what he would consider to be his rights and of having his revenge upon the man who had wronged him.""No.

No comments:

Post a Comment