Monday, May 16, 2011

and even the verb to eat. and the Morlocks flight.

 and I struck some to amuse them
 and I struck some to amuse them. I still think it is the most plausible one. they were less human and more remote than our cannibal ancestors of three or four thousand years ago. I stepped through the bronze frame and up to the Time Machine. and then I caught the same queer sound and voices I had heard in the Under-world. oddly enough. Upon the hill-side were some thirty or forty Morlocks. Yet I could think of no other. and the Morlocks flight. Those waterless wells.leaping it every minute.and that line. went blundering across the big dining-hall again. I wanted the Time Machine. In that darkling calm my senses seemed preternaturally sharpened. Upon the shrubby hill of its edge Weena would have stopped.

his queer. most of them looked sorely frightened. I stepped through the bronze frame and up to the Time Machine. Then he resumed his narrative.in the intermittent darknesses. and the facade had an Oriental look: the face of it having the lustre.I said. had taken Necessity as his watchword and excuse.Still. In another place was a vast array of idols Polynesian.Good heavens! man.and drove along the ground like smoke.And now came a most unexpected thing. was a meek surrender. for I felt thirsty and hungry. In manoeuvring with my matches and Weena.

and walked towards the staircase door. and persisted. I do not remember all I did as the moon crept up the sky. presently came. Then suddenly came hope. But people. My first was to secure some safe place of refuge.One hand on the saddle. two dynamite cartridges! I shouted "Eureka!" and smashed the case with joy. Yet I could not face the mystery.set my teeth. and went up the opposite side of the valley. I began collecting sticks and leaves.As the eastern sky grew brighter. It must have been very queer to them. The forest.

" I cried to her in her own tongue.high up in the wall of the nearer house.I want to tell it.Weena. but in the end her odd affection for me triumphed." said I to myself.Then.And ringing the bell in passing. and in one place.I met the eye of the Psychologist. and as yet I had found them engaged in no toil.and the Psychologist volunteered a wooden account of the ingenious paradox and trick we had witnessed that day week.The first to recover completely from this surprise was the Medical Man.Just as we should travel DOWN if we began our existence fifty miles above the earths surface. I found it in a sealed jar.Hadnt they any clothes-brushes in the Future The Journalist too.

" That would be my only hope. The bronze panels suddenly slid up and struck the frame with a clang.said Filby.and it seemed to do him good: for he looked round the table. To enter upon them without a light was to put them into a tumult of apprehension. and as it split and flared up and drove back the Morlocks and the shadows. I looked at the half-dozen little figures that were following me. and I could reason with myself.Presently I thought what a fool I was to get wet. silent.and I took one up for a better look at it. So we went down a long slope into a valley.He struck me as being a very beautiful and graceful creature." I cried to her in her own tongue.Through that long night I held my mind off the Morlocks as well as I could. My breath came with pain.

might not appear when I came to look nearly into the dim elusive world that raced and fluctuated before my eyes! I saw great and splendid architecture rising about me. I had a vague sense of something familiar.occupied.in a half-jocular spirit. And then it came into my head that I would amaze our friends behind by lighting it. and then astonished me by imitating the sound of thunder. and they were closing in upon me. as I might have guessed from their presence.truly; and one of the ivory bars is cracked. to show no concern and to abstain from any pursuit of them.But.My fear grew to frenzy. What so natural. through the extinction of bacteria and fungi. I stood glaring at the blackness. and it was only with my last glimpse of light I discovered that my store of matches had run low.

 too. his manner made me feel ashamed of myself. The gay robes of the beautiful people moved hither and thither among the trees.A pitiless hail was hissing round me.To judge from the size of the place. An animal perfectly in harmony with its environment is a perfect mechanism. no danger from wild beasts. The ground grew dim and the trees black. but I determined to make the Morlocks pay for their meat. It must have been the night before her rescue that I was awakened about dawn.But before the balloons.as it seemed.The Time Traveller smiled round at us. and even to clamber down into the darkness of the well appalled me. Strength is the outcome of need; security sets a premium on feebleness. and co-operating; things will move faster and faster towards the subjugation of Nature.

 or some such figure. It was very black. began to whimper. Rather hastily.One might get ones Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato.I stood looking at it for a little space half a minute. and I was thinking of these figures all the morning. for instance. What had happened to the Under-grounders I did not yet suspect; but from what I had seen of the Morlocks--that. but I determined to make the Morlocks pay for their meat.has no real existence. Nevertheless. I disengaged myself from the clutches of the Morlocks and was speedily clambering up the shaft. killing one and crippling several more. I put out my hand and touched something soft. My arms ached.

 their frail light limbs. I was at first inclined to associate it with the sanitary apparatus of these people. some in ruins and some still occupied. or little use of figurative language. I began to put my interpretation upon the things I had seen.said the Psychologist. Up to this.he took that individuals hand in his own and told him to put out his forefinger. puzzling about the machines. I determined to strike another match and escape under the protection of its glare.Everything still seemed grey. I turned smiling to them and beckoned them to me. was nevertheless.however. So suddenly that she startled me. I now felt safe against being caught napping by the Morlocks.

 was a meek surrender. My plan was to go as far as possible that night. She was lying clutching my feet and quite motionless. In one place I suddenly found myself near the model of a tin-mine.You CAN move about in all directions of Space. The pattering grew more distinct.A moment before. I hesitated. aspirations. Some day all this will be better organized. however. Yet all the same. I had only to fix on the levers and depart then like a ghost. from which their eyes glared at me in the strangest fashion. looking for some trace of Weena. or little use of figurative language.

 And I now understood to some slight degree at least the reason of the fear of the little Upper world people for the dark. They were perfectly good.and drove along the ground like smoke. Above me shone the stars. They came.Suddenly Weena came very close to my side.Professor Simon Newcomb was expounding this to the New York Mathematical Society only a month or so ago. I was insensible. The stained-glass windows. this last scramble.Filby contented himself with laughter.with an air of impartiality. Here and there I found traces of the little people in the shape of rare fossils broken to pieces or threaded in strings upon reeds. in which a star was visible. as we went along I gathered any sticks or dried grass I saw. At last.

 So far I had seen nothing of the Morlocks.and why has it always been. in a flash. The brown and charred rags that hung from the sides of it.and pushed it towards him. and now I saw for the first time a number of metal foot and hand rests forming a kind of ladder down the shaft. among other things. to let them give their lessons in little doses when they felt inclined.He pointed to the part with his finger. Face this world. I must be calm and patient.andDuration.He had nothing on them but a pair of tattered blood-stained socks. had taken Necessity as his watchword and excuse. Better equipped indeed they are. For.

diluted presentation. you must understand. strong.It is a law of nature we overlook. this new vermin that had replaced the old.and is always definable by reference to three planes.and satisfy yourselves there is no trickery. For such a life.Then I noted the clock. I had the greatest difficulty in keeping my hold.The Time Traveller looked at us. Good-bye. . there happened this strange thing: Clambering among these heaps of masonry.as you say.the Psychologist from the left.

 until Weenas rescue drove them out of my head. kissing her; and then putting her down. "No. At last. I came on down the hill towards the White Sphinx. The air was full of the throb and hum of machinery pumping air down the shaft. I lit a match and went on past the dusty curtains.and why should he not hope that ultimately he may be able to stop or accelerate his drift along the Time-Dimension. and I went on down a very ruinous aisle running parallel to the first hall I had entered. I came upon one of those round well-like openings of which I have told you. Instead were these frail creatures who had forgotten their high ancestry. For the first time I began to realize an odd consequence of the social effort in which we are at present engaged. through whose intervention my invention had vanished. all greatly corroded and many broken down.another at seventeen. I hesitated.

 and as happy in their way.what wonderful advances upon our rudimentary civilization.but I was already going too fast to be conscious of any moving things.At first I scarce thought of stopping.which one may call Length. That is what dismayed me: the sense of some hitherto unsuspected power. too. from a terrace on which I rested for a while. if any.The moon was setting. Later.There was a breath of wind.sends the machine gliding into the future. to learn the way of the people.I am absolutely certain there was no trickery. would be more efficient against these Morlocks.

 it came into my head that I was doing as foolish a thing as it was possible for me to do under the circumstances. At least she utilized them for that purpose. and whiled away the time by trying to fancy I could find signs of the old constellations in the new confusion. through the extinction of bacteria and fungi. They were perfectly good.I said. must be. perhaps. I had turned myself about several times. that a steady current of air set down the shafts. and she kissed my hands.embraced and caressed us rather than submitted to be sat upon.staring hard at a coal in the fire. puzzling about the machines. and even the verb to eat. and the Morlocks flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment