Tuesday, May 10, 2011

War is not won by victory. I said. father.

 I said
 I said. There were big guns too that passed in the day drawn by tractors. No one to lend me money. father. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. She was not in the garden and I went to the side door of the villa where the ambulances drove up. You go away like this. I havent any papers for you.Yes. she said. Ill be wise like you. He bellows. After a while the English ambulance came up and they put me onto a stretcher and lifted the stretcher up to the ambulance level and shoved it in.

 darling.Thank God I did not become involved with the British. It would be the same when the offensive started. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away. It would be the same when the offensive started. I will send the liaison officer. Maybe the Austrians would crack. They all ask for you. I felt something dripping.Its way out. If you must have a priest have that priest.I said I knew. The pain that the major had spoken about had started and all that was happening was without interest or relation.

The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village. He said it was true and by the corpse of Bacchus we would test whether it was true or not. I got a rupture. he said.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni.You dont believe me We will go now this afternoon and see.5 mm. It did not have anything to do with me. He ought to be able to do something. Good by. she said.Well crack.I wish there was some place we could go.

 There was a little shelter of green branches outside over the entrance and in the dark the night wind rustled the leaves dried by the sun. It was a hot day and the sky was very bright and blue and the road was white and dusty. Then he was quiet. the injustices he had received and in which I participated as an American. No.The next afternoon we heard there was to be an attack up the river that night and that we were to take four cars there. said the priest. There was much traffic at night and many mules on the roads with boxes of ammunition on each side of their pack-saddles and gray motor trucks that carried men. Those were all the Austrians mountains and we had nothing like them. Some one was coming down the hallway. Bring on something serious. baby. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now.

 In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying. It has been put back again. They say so. selfinflicted wounds. I smiled at the priest and he smiled back across the candlelight. she said.Do you like itVery much. Gordini got up and ran for the dugout. I could pull backward along with my arms and elbows. I sat beside him.Priest today with girls. No. Well stop by the road here.

There arent enough troops here for a real attack.No. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. We drank the second grappa. I liked to watch her move.Goodnight.I wish you were back. Your goddesses. I saw that word pricked him and kept on. I had been up the river to the bridgehead at Plava.Yes there is. After I was wounded I never found him. Chew those.

Im awfully sorry. Rinaldi. They did very well last summer.Two carabinieri held the car up. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. I knew I would not be killed. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals. I saw the blanket open. Passini said respectfully.Shes on duty. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered. You are a dear. darling.

 I thought she was probably a little crazy. And we have gotten away from the war. I was always able to forget. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. Manera and Gavuzzi each went off with a load of wounded. I went back to the drivers.Hell say I did it on purpose. the camion stopped a little off the road.I dont believe it. It is a disgrace that they should stay so long that they become friends. With your priest and your English girl. Rinaldi came in while I was undressing. You should go on leave.

 the pillars with the marble busts.I will send Miss Barkley.There are no forks. The road climbed steeply going up and back and forth through chestnut woods to level finally along a ridge.Has there been any trouble getting parts I asked the sergeant mechanic. And you never know if the girl will really like it. he said. They would take me as soon as possible. Now they have a guard outside his house with a bayonet and nobody can come to see his mother and father and sisters and his father loses his civil rights and cannot even vote.A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. she said.That road will be a dirty mess. Inside the dugout were the three drivers sitting against the wall.

 he said in Italian. The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit. didnt IShe was looking at me in the dark.Oh.The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare. an officer directing the light and the crew scared. They were silent until I went out. What an odd thing--to be in the Italian army.Thank God I did not become involved with the British.WhereMilano.I would like you to see Abruzzi and visit my family at Capracotta.The adjutant. said Miss Ferguson.

 That major at the first post was a hogbutcher.Have you any moneyYes.No. They would take me as soon as possible. Laugh. I didnt mean to hurt you.I looked in her eyes and put my arm around her as I had before and kissed her. This machine is no good but the others march. You must forgive me for talking so much. Through the other noise I heard a cough.We sat down on a bench and I looked at her. He has a rendezvous. Where did you go and what did you do Tell me everything at once.

Jesus Christ.Yes.How do you do Miss Barkley said. There was a cough. baby. soldiers would. when you knew that that was all there was. wore his black boots. Gordini said. and the argument went on. When this road was finished the offensive would start.Wed take quite good care of them and return them to the villa. Yes.

I stopped in front of the Villa Rossa. fast and shallow. she said. But millions of fools like you dont know it. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes. But then he wanted to go to war and I didnt know. His helmet was off and his forehead was bleeding below the hair line. The coffee was a pale gray and sweet with condensed milk. the dust rising from the wheels and going off through the trees. sometimes it backed on a turn.Do you suppose it will always go onNo. I myself felt as badly as he did and could not understand why I had not gone. NapoliThats enough.

 the captain said. Im all right. The other officers were amused at the baiting. My father is a famous hunter. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi.She looked down at the grass. I think the heat knocked me over yesterday.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad. Rinaldi. Your lovely cool goddess.War is not won by victory. I said. father.

No comments:

Post a Comment