Tuesday, May 10, 2011

NapoliThats enough.They were all eating. Evviva lesercito.

 A soldier came along after the last of the stragglers
 A soldier came along after the last of the stragglers. I said.Not true asked the captain.Ill take the American Tenente.Ill take the American Tenente. I was angry and yet certain.It doesnt finish.Yes there is.Im going on. They were silent until I went out. Alpini would.I pressed her hand.Of a whatHe explained.

 I went on home.That is not good. I said. It was one of those things that gave you a false feeling of soldiering. ha! he said. higher snow mountains.Yes.What is the differenceA nurse is like a doctor. I would have liked to drive over the new road but it was not yet finished. There was fighting for that mountain too. All alone at the war with no new girls. He laughed. I remembered.

 then finally it climbed quite fast. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. We read.Hell say I did it on purpose. So were all on very special behavior. I am an atheist. Stretcher bearers came in all the time. Aldo. Naples. however. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. a hard bright burst and flash and then gray smoke that blew across the road.They have big Skoda guns.

SeeI put my Saint Anthony back in the capsule. Theres not really any war of that sort down here. my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall. ha! he said. Now he was bandaging. Oh mama mia. There are a few real wounded. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill. The road curved and we saw the three cars looking quite small. I said. wiped off the blade and pared off the dirty outside surface of the cheese. Rinaldi shook his head. Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night.

 Good by. went downstairs. With a sabre cut. The two captains took off their coats.And youll be backTo morrow.You dont need to say a lot of nonsense.I dont think it will hurt you.I walked behind her out into the garden. They would.I wish there was some place we could go. It was Passini and when I touched him he screamed. the fighting in the mountains beyond the town. He had always known what I did not know and what.

In the legs.I went back to the majors dugout and he said the field kitchen would be along and the drivers could come and get their stew.Is there anything I can do. Really. There is no finish to a war.Of a whatHe explained.Have you ever loved any oneNo.All right. The Italian salute never seemed made for export. said the major.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse. she said. Something picturesque.

 Miss Barkley said. Goodnight.No. At the first battle you all run. It is protected by the little hill.War is not won by victory. Passini said sarcastically. Manera said.You speak English he asked. Tenente.I would like to go with you and show you things.She laughed. Ive known him before.

What is the differenceA nurse is like a doctor. and come back like this. folded it without rising from the bed and slid it in his breeches pocket. baby.Four for 105.Better not drink too much brandy then. I could have given him that anyway. Oh mama mia.Pas encore. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. with strange planes. maggiore (next to the little finger). Ill wrap you up and dont bounce your head around.

Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians. I said and poured the basin full of water.Hes dead I think. and come back like this. Nothing. Its beautiful language. The priest was good but dull.We two were talking while the others argued. really. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. looking for cuts or stone bruises. We are war brothers. the smooth functioning of the business of removing wounded and sick from the dressing stations.

I can come here though. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. What is defeat You go home.You are crazy. then. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. Hes a better man than I am.There will be no more offensive now that the snow has come.Goodnight. the shellmarked iron of the railway bridge. I could look down through the woods and see.Sure. I must write some letters.

 I kissed both her shut eyes. Where did you meet her In the Cova Where did you go How did you feel Tell me everything at once. mama Mia I pulled and twisted and got my legs loose finally and turned around and touched him. I said. said the lieutenant.I stopped in front of the Villa Rossa. the broken houses of the little town that was to be taken. dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly. The mechanics were working on one out in the yard. I wont kiss you if you dont want. I knew I would not be killed. he said. I breathed and I was back.

Ill go and see now. That is very clear. They were hospitals beyond the river.Yes. I hurried up the driveway and inside the reception hall I asked for Miss Barkley. Manera said. lootenant.I saw Catherine Barkley coming down the hall. Passini said respectfully. I said that was a foul lie and. After supper I would go and see Catherine Barkley.I looked outside. carts and loaded ambulances and all returning traffic up the old narrow road.

Yes. then stopped and kissed her. she said. I could not see the guns but they were evidently firing directly over us. Ha! Ha! Ha! The captain spread his hand open. Those postcards would be very fine in America; strange and mysterious. The priest shook his head.Im going on. No one to lend me money. Are they going to have an offensiveYes. baby. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. She did not seem tall walking toward me but she looked very lovely.

 He spoke again in pidgin Italian.Hell say I did it on purpose. He slapped the bed with his glove. The sun was going down and looking up along the bank as we drove I saw the Austrian observation balloons above the hills on the other side dark against the sunset. He denied all knowledge of the five per cent bonds.All thinking men are atheists. The priest accepted it as a joke. He started with the upright thumb and named in their order the thumb and four fingers.They were all eating.Later. NapoliThats enough.They were all eating. Evviva lesercito.

No comments:

Post a Comment