Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Inside they were operating on all the tables.

 I said
 I said.And you call me CatherineCatherine.Must attack.They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant. They would take me as soon as possible. There is good hunting.Here is the American Tenente. Genoa was the place to see the bad marbles. TaorminaYou talk like a timetable. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. Nothing to do. Florence.

 Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky.I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad. He shook his head at me. hot and dirty. Then we saw a horse ambulance stopped by the road. spaced by the interval of their dust.No. There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut. Outside it was getting dark. You will like it. Five stars. Its a Saint Anthony. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway.

 she said. which was protected by a shoulder of the mountain. I wished to God it was over though. pneumonia and hard and soft chancres. I went on home. The major was a little man with upturned mustaches. He lived in Udine and came out in this way nearly every day to see how things were going.Rinaldi looked at me blankly.Do you always know what people thinkNot always.Good Christ I said. The town was very nice and our house was very fine. The vineyards were thin and bare-branched too and all the country wet and brown and dead with the autumn. I said.

We two were talking while the others argued.Poor Rinaldi. That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon.No.No. Everybody hates this war. ha! he said.Have you seen Miss BarkleyI will bring her here. Sometimes still pleasant and fond and warm and breakfast and lunch. She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. A little that way like the number of the first regiment of the Brigata Ancona. They say so.

He shook his head. I drove back up the narrow road.Splendid. father. I thought he had a fine name and he came from Minnesota which made a lovely name: Ireland of Minnesota. Im learning it. no.Of course they do.Were you thereNo. I had gone to no place where the roads were frozen and hard as iron.Rinaldi poured himself another glass of the cognac.You want us to stay here or can we look aroundBetter stay here.I felt his breath come toward me.

 They take your sisters. she said. I saluted and went out. I said. He was a big smart tall boy to be in the granatieri. and other trucks with loads covered with canvas that moved slower in the traffic. Nothing to do.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. The men were hot and sweating. But back here youve got to have papers. While I was looking at him he opened his eyes. We caught them and passed them and turned off on a road that climbed up into the hills. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends.

 The priest shook his head. At the post on the top they took the stretcher out and put another in and we went on. Im something called a V. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped. She waved again and then I was out of the driveway and climbing up into the seat of the ambulance and we started. instead there is a war. The major was unhooking the forceps now. The drivers were pleased with it and I left them there. The door was open. I went back to the drivers.How do you do Miss Barkley said. the major said.

I felt it. I knew I would not be killed.Like the Tchecos.I dont think it will hurt you. It is with them the war is made. yes.Passini shook his head. I put thumb and fingers into the macaroni and lifted. I asked what time the attack was to he and they said as soon as it was dark. There are people who are afraid of their officers. I thought I was coming back. But they say a Saint Anthonys very useful. and mark a cross on both legs.

 It was half of the brigata Basilicata. Passini said.No. There was nothing to write about. Oh you should see what I did in the removal of three metres of small intestine and better now than ever. I myself felt as badly as he did and could not understand why I had not gone.Ca va bienCa va. The road climbed steeply going up and back and forth through chestnut woods to level finally along a ridge. That left three. Not very well.Its a silly front. Inside they were operating on all the tables.How did you happen to do that Why didnt you join up with usI dont know.

You dont need to say a lot of nonsense.I have one.Youre dirty. I do not believe in the Free Masons however. Manera said. We were in the second army. as the road mounted along the ridge.Here.All right. Passini said respectfully. You wont worry now.You have that pleasant air of a dog in heat. Bacchus.

 he touched the little finger. he said. It did not have anything to do with me.I did not understand the word. in the infantry. They do it for nothing. I didnt mean to hurt you. Roma.The next year there were many victories. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. You are purer and sweeter.Im not.It belonged to a boy who was killed last year.

 Didnt you see itNo. I was cold and my leg hurt so that it made me sick. his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. when you lie here all the time in the hot weather dont you get excitedSometimes. capitano (next finger). I said. It tasted of rusty metal. Well take you back with us. Here now we have beautiful girls.Had you been engaged longEight years. There were big search lights on that front mounted on camions that you passed sometimes on the roads at night.Carabinieri.

 and he came from Amalfi. Mr.Say. He can be here until you are ready to take him.He should go to Palermo.Yes. but it was not successful.If you drop me again. I said. and other trucks with loads covered with canvas that moved slower in the traffic.Yes. Then I made out my report in my room. We went for a stretcher but there wasnt any.

 How is your poor head I looked at your papers. You must have done something heroic either before or after.Poor man. I kissed her hard and held her tight and tried to open her lips; they were closed tight. It is very informative. Didnt you refuse to be medically aided before the othersNot very firmly. While I was looking at him he opened his eyes. She would not let me put my arm around her. major. The window was open. I looked across the wire at the Austrian lines. I suppose it was mutual tolerance because the Austrians still kept a bridgehead further down the river. Inside they were operating on all the tables.

No comments:

Post a Comment