Tuesday, May 10, 2011

as the road mounted along the ridge.

 While I was looking at him he opened his eyes
 While I was looking at him he opened his eyes. chemical smells and the sweet smell of blood. I helped the soldier with the rupture up on the seat with us. I took her hands.Its rotten. left the car at the dressing station under the hill.No. the lieutenant said. What an odd thing--to be in the Italian army. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. locked in the trunk. Im not. His legs were toward me and I saw in the dark and the light that they were both smashed above the knee.

 We do not like the English. I knew I did not love Catherine Barkley nor had any idea of loving her. He spread the hand again. Its good. One killed and the fellow that brought you. Youre a very good boy. Priest never with girls. It is a successful coup de main. We will convert him. Gavuzzi has your legs. Manera and Gavuzzi each went off with a load of wounded. It is a successful coup de main. is a short cut.

 I just couldnt stand the nurseseveningoff aspect of it.And you dont have to say you love me. I unwound the puttee and while I was doing it I saw there was no need to try and make a tourniquet because he was dead already. maam. We all got up and left the table. You understand Priest every night five against one. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain.All right.That road will be a dirty mess. Maybe you will get an English medal too.Like the Tchecos. Passini said. said Passini.

 It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant.Better not drink too much brandy then. Then there was one that we did not hear coming until the sudden rush. he explained to me.I will go and see. I went out swiftly. she said. I know all about it. Maybe she would pretend that I was her boy that was killed and we would go in the front door and the porter would take off his cap and I would stop at the concierges desk and ask for the key and she would stand by the elevator and then we would get in the elevator and it would go up very slowly clicking at all the floors and then our floor and the boy would open the door and stand there and she would step out and I would step out and we would walk down the hall and I would put the key in the door and open it and go in and then take down the telephone and ask them to send a bottle of capri bianca in a silver bucket full of ice and you would hear the ice against the pail coming down the condor and the boy would knock and I would say leave it outside the door please.Id rather wait. A trench mortar shell. I said.Yes.

Ten cars were lined up side by side under the long shed.They come after you. Tenente. all this in a moment.What about eating. Were not cloistered. A little that way like the number of the first regiment of the Brigata Ancona.No. Ill send your English girl.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town.Bring good opera disks.Kiss me.In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains.

 he said to me. He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans. It is disgraceful. We do get along.In the legs. TenenteWhere is Gordini and GavuzziGordinis at the post getting bandaged. Well all eat. thats nothing to how it will feel later. It was cold in the car in the night as the road climbed. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance.You couldnt have sent me a noteNo.You speak English he asked. When this road was finished the offensive would start.

 the captain said.The drops fell very slowly. I watched her face. At the foot of the bed was my flat trunk. and good news. Really. went downstairs. A trench mortar shell. There were mists over the river and clouds on the mountain and the trucks splashed mud on the road and the troops were muddy and wet in their capes their rifles were wet and under their capes the two leather cartridge-boxes on the front of the belts. he said. and the world all unreal in the dark and so exciting that you must resume again unknowing and not caring in the night. He shook his head at me. But they say a Saint Anthonys very useful.

How are the cars Manera asked. But youre very nice. There was nothing to write about. close behind the lines. I said.Now you see. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. Milan. He bandaged. the stumps of trees projected.You sons of bitches. with the eyes shut. I looked in the door of the big room and saw the major sitting at his desk.

 I said. the car looking disgraced and empty with the engine open and parts spread on the work bench. Rinaldi said that the French had mutinied and troops marched on Paris. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side.Lets drop it anyway.Yes there is.Which side is it onHere. He was going to marry me and he was killed in the Somme. There was more to it than that. He was dressed. I identified them by their red and white striped collar mark. TenenteWhere is Gordini and GavuzziGordinis at the post getting bandaged. Roma.

 You only pretend to be American. He patted Gordini on the shoulder. There were lighted candles on the table. They are too stupid. sometimes it backed on a turn. He slapped me on the shoulder. Firenze. Im sorry for your head. They did very well last summer. Evidently it did not matter whether I was there or not. she said. There was more to it than that. I said to the priest.

Cough. He did not hear me. I said.I was going to cut it all off when he died. I said. I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi. But dont be a fool. they would. They were going to put over another bridge when the bombardment started and some troops were to cross at the shallows up above at the bend of the river. You are really an Italian. He breathed very heavily. Nor for the beautiful uniforms. If there is a war I suppose we must attack.

 I was experiencing the masculine difficulty of making love very long standing up. They were big and shy and embarrassed and very appreciative together of anything that happened. It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it. under a hill beyond the river. But Im back now. The snow slanted across the wind.Its not been away. I saw the town with the hill and the old castle above it in a cup in the hills with the mountains beyond. We are mechanics.Some of the officers went alone. went to the jail and asked to see the priest.Very. Im leaving now for a show up above Plava.

 A regiment went by in the road and I watched them pass.I guess youve got a fracture all right. With your priest and your English girl. There was one fine cemetery thoughthe one at Pisa.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. It was a nuisance to have them there but it was a comfort that they were no bigger.Passinis dead. The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit. And you do love meYes. Manera said. The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. I said.

 I said that was a foul lie and. the major said. she said. It would not rip and I bit the edge of the cloth to start it. Thats what its for.No. They have plenty of girls. She went on down the hall. were on the trunk.We walked along together through the town and I chewed the coffee. The captain was having a great success with finger games. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. as the road mounted along the ridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment