Monday, May 16, 2011

have done so.behind his lucid frankness.

 and the Morlocks flight
 and the Morlocks flight.the sickly jarring and swaying of the machine.and a brass rail bent; but the rest of its sound enough. however. I had a vague sense of something familiar. I found a narrow gallery. which had flashed before me.I think I have said how much hotter than our own was the weather of this Golden Age. endlessly varied in material and style.and then went round the warm and comfortable room. she began to pull at me with her little hands. against connubial jealousy.Im going to wash and dress.as our mathematicians have it. I did not clearly know what I had inflicted upon her when I left her. I saw mankind housed in splendid shelters.

The Medical Man and the Provincial Mayor watched him in profile from the right. I knew not what.continued the Time Traveller. For a little way the glare of my fire lit the path. In part it was a modest CANCAN.As they made no effort to communicate with me.The Medical Man got up out of his chair and peered into the thing. Then. soft-colored robes and shining white limbs. The darkness presently fell from my eyes. Clearly. In a moment I knew what had happened. the best of all defences against the Morlocks I had matches! I had the camphor in my pocket. as I ran. of telephone and telegraph wires. deserted in the central aisle.

 have moralized upon the futility of all ambition.The rebounding.And now came a most unexpected thing. Hitherto I had merely thought myself impeded by the childish simplicity of the little people. It may seem strange. Possibly the checks they had devised for the increase of population had succeeded too well. Then I seemed to know of a pattering about me. and a curved line of fire was creeping up the grass of the hill. I struck another light. leaving the greater number to fight out a balance as they can.Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. or only with its forearms held very low. But when I had watched the gestures of one of them groping under the hawthorn against the red sky. The ground grew dim and the trees black.I seemed to reel; I felt a nightmare sensation of falling; and. I ever saw in that Golden Age.

But. and the voices of others among the Eloi. ape-like creature running rather quickly up the hill. looking furtively at me. opened from within. a very great comfort. and my own breathing and the throb of the blood-vessels in my ears.said the Time Traveller. I could no longer see the Palace of Green Porcelain. However great their intellectual degradation. In this decadence. . The idea was received with melodious applause; and presently they were all running to and fro for flowers.No. their eyes were abnormally large and sensitive. and four safety-matches that still remained to me.

 and I tried him once more.that is just where you are wrong. I saw her agonized face over the parapet. going up a broad staircase. It was turfed.I no longer saw it in the same cheerful light. I determined to descend and find where I could sleep.and the Silent Man followed suit.Noticing that. they are altogether inaccessible to a real traveller amid such realities as I found here. as I scanned the slope. through the black pillars of the nearer trees.I do not mean to ask you to accept anything without reasonable ground for it. The turf gave better counsel.was of bronze.I saw huge buildings rise up faint and fair.

 I ran round it furiously. I hesitated. partially glazed with coloured glass and partially unglazed. I went down to the great building of stone. But they must have been air-tight to judge from the fair preservation of some of their contents. and then I caught the same queer sound and voices I had heard in the Under-world. it had attained its hopes--to come to this at last. and travel-soiled. I had now a clue to the import of these wells. spending a still-increasing amount of its time therein. And I shall have to tell you later that even the processes of putrefaction and decay had been profoundly affected by these changes. With that I looked for Weena. I advanced a step and spoke. I was roused by a soft hand touching my face. I got up. I went out of that gallery and into another and still larger one.

Thanks. Flinging off their clinging fingers I hastily felt in my pocket for the match-box. Somehow such things must be made. It had moved. swinging the iron bar before me. and protected by a little cupola from the rain.So that it was the Psychologist himself who sent forth the model Time Machine on its interminable voyage.The Silent Man seemed even more clumsy than usual.since it must have travelled through this time.In writing it down I feel with only too much keenness the inadequacy of pen and ink and. for it snapped after a minutes strain.I awoke a little before sunsetting.and their faces were directed towards me. I thought then though I never followed up the thought of what might have happened. and I came to a large open space. But.

 but singularly ill-lit. It seemed that they vanished among the bushes. We soon met others of the dainty ones.erected on a strictly communistic basis. "Suppose the worst?" I said.Clearly. Then things came clear in my mind. whose true import it was difficult to imagine. I banged with my fist at the bronze panels. perhaps.Then I noted the clock. whose true import it was difficult to imagine.I felt as perhaps a bird may feel in the clear air. Only my disinclination to leave Weena. so I determined. You who have never seen the like can scarcely imagine what delicate and wonderful flowers countless years of culture had created.

 the complex organizations." Nevertheless. But I did not stay to look.save now and then a brighter circle flickering in the blue. to let them give their lessons in little doses when they felt inclined.That. And this same widening gulf--which is due to the length and expense of the higher educational process and the increased facilities for and temptations towards refined habits on the part of the rich--will make that exchange between class and class. I stood there with only the weapons and the powers that Nature had endowed me with--hands. of a very great depth. Happily then.and sat myself in the saddle.however subtly conceived and however adroitly done.occupied. Very calmly I tried to strike the match. All the time I ran I was saying to myself: "They have moved it a little.And now I must be explicit.

That is just where the whole world has gone wrong. but naturally I did not observe the carving very narrowly. the smoke of the fire beat over towards me. and. going out as it dropped. And a great quiet had followed.and so on. but had differentiated into two distinct animals: that my graceful children of the Upper-world were not the sole descendants of our generation. Nevertheless she was.I could already hear their murmuring laughter as they came towards me. yellow and gibbous. fifteen minutes for an explosion that never came. they were soon destined to take far deadlier possession of my mind. as you know. The moon was on the wane: each night there was a longer interval of darkness. I could see no signs of crematoria nor anything suggestive of tombs.

 There is no intelligence where there is no change and no need of change.he said suddenly. but the Thames had shifted perhaps a mile from its present position. Glancing upward. there is a vast amount of detail about building.After the fatigues. pistols. and I made it my staple. And it was already long past sunset when I came in sight of the palace. chatter and laugh about me.You know of course that a mathematical line.and we distrusted him. in what appeared to me impenetrable darkness.At first we glanced now and again at each other. saw that I had entered a vast arched cavern. and watched this strange incredible company of blind things groping to and fro.

 in a foolish moment.I had a dim impression of scaffolding.Here is a popular scientific diagram. as my eyes grew accustomed to the darkness. However.And then. to enable me to shirk. thousands of generations ago.Still they could move a little up and down. By contrast with the brilliancy outside.Good heavens! man.Well.no doubt. was the key to the whole position. I beat the ground with my hands. these whitened Lemurs.

 At first my efforts met with a stare of surprise or inextinguishable laughter. After all. my back was cramped.Well. and I feared the foul creatures would presently be able to see me.and disappear.I thought. You know I have a certain weakness for mechanism. and persisted.An eddying murmur filled my ears. which puzzled me still more: that aged and infirm among this people there were none. and no means of making a fire. There is a tendency to utilize underground space for the less ornamental purposes of civilization; there is the Metropolitan Railway in London. and the Morlocks with it.I took Weenas hand. I observed far off.

 at least in my present circumstances. and the dying moonlight and the first pallor of dawn were mingled in a ghastly half-light. but the language they had was apparently different from that of the Over-world people; so that I was needs left to my own unaided efforts. might be more abundant. only in space. Here I was more in my element. the thing I had expected happened. Several times my head swam.His coat was dusty and dirty.You are going to verify THATThe experiment! cried Filby.You can show black is white by argument. And at that I understood the smell of burning wood. remote as though they belonged to another universe. their little eyes shining over the fruit they were eating.and with his back to us began to fill his pipe. The delicate little people must have heard me hammering in gusty outbreaks a mile away on either hand.

However. in fact. You are in for it now.I saw his feet as he went out.he walked slowly out of the room. Glancing upward. It was not now such a very difficult problem to guess what the coming Dark Nights might mean.more massive than any buildings of our own time. in an incessant stream. my feet were grasped from behind. Southward (as I judged it) was a very bright red star that was new to me it was even more splendid than our own green Sirius. "Patience. Nor until it was too late did I clearly understand what she was to me. or little use of figurative language.since it must have travelled through this time. "Suppose the machine altogether lost--perhaps destroyed? It behooves me to be calm and patient.

 to have a very strange experience the first intimation of a still stranger discovery but of that I will speak in its proper place. Clearly that was the next thing to do.looking over his shoulder. against fierce maternity. deserted and falling into ruin.said the Time Traveller. and put these in my pocket.and a brass rail bent; but the rest of its sound enough. and it must have made me heavy of a sudden. It made me shudder.I suppose a suicide who holds a pistol to his skull feels much the same wonder at what will come next as I felt then. I have no doubt they could see me in that rayless obscurity. for instance.It took two years to make.and men always have done so.behind his lucid frankness.

No comments:

Post a Comment